Reflection:
Leaving high school, English was not only my least favorite
subject, but it was also my most difficult. I knew I had lacked the creativity
with writing and I had difficulty understanding the meaning of stories and
poems. I entered my first year of college with extreme anxiety and expressed
this to my first professor. Through his kind words and guidance, I began to
have a better understanding and started to build on my creativity with interpretation.
This gave me some confidence to enter a class that I again would have anxiety
over.
Through this semester I have not only learned to break apart
stories, but to analyze and to make connections. My writing has become more
creative and well-written. Although my grammar has still to improve, I have
learned much about where commas do and don't belong. I have also learned how to broaden my
analysis on the subject I am talking about. I know how to look for theme, tone,
mood, and all the elements needed to have an understanding. This has allowed me
to expand on my thoughts and interpretations and gain the confidence needed to
be able to write pubs and papers. I have recognized that this is my interpretation
of a story based on what I have learned and that it is not right or wrong.
What I truly liked most about the class is how confident I was
able to be when standing in front of my classmates. It was a very comfortable
environment and professor Brady made it possible to be able to express yourself
without judgement from our peers. It is very hard to stand in front of your
classmates and express yourself and I loved how easy it had become. I have become
a more well-spoken person because of her class. I also enjoyed class fishbowls
because it was a nice break from being lectured all class and I enjoyed to hear
what my classmates had to say. Professor Brady really cared for students and
was very passionate about what she was teaching. This made me interested in
class lectures and also excited for the next.
I will take away the confidence from this class through all
the elements that I have learned to have an understanding, appreciation, and
enjoyment in literature which I had lacked. I went from apprehensive to
strength and through this I know that I will be able to apply this towards my
future endeavors. This material will be particularly useful with the upcoming
reading comprehension chapter on the TEAS exam. This was my weakness on the SAT
in high school and to this class and my professor I am extremely thankful for
their knowledge. I see myself as a well-spoken talker and thinker in 5 years.
Well Done Madison!!! Your portfolio looks magnificent!
ReplyDelete